A Pregnancy Massage is very similar to a regular massage yet it tailors to the specific needs of a pregnant woman and her changing body. It is a non-invasive treatment that manipulates the soft tissues of the body aiming to relax the mind, body and spirit. A Pregnancy Massage can either be performed while on the side on a massage table or face down on a pregnancy massage cushion specifically shaped for a pregnant mother’s body.
The benefits of a Pregnancy Massage include:
- Reduces muscle tension in areas such as the lower back, neck, shoulders, abdomen and hips
- Eases the onset of calf cramping
- Decreases swelling in the hands, feet and ankles
- Promotes better sleep
- Lessens joint pain
- Improves circulation, especially in the calves
- Eases sciatic pain
- Decreases the onset of headaches
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Improves oxygenation of soft tissues and muscles
Pregnancy massage is beneficial throughout the entire nine months of pregnancy however, it is advised to have this type of massage during the second and third trimester due to the potential risk of a miscarriage during the first trimester.
A Pregnancy Massage should be avoided if:
- Midwife or doctor has advised you against it
- If you are in a high-risk pregnancy category
- Have previously had a premature labour
- Previous Miscarriage
- If you have pregnancy induced hypertension eg: high BP
- If you have pre-eclampsia, or sudden swelling with retention of fluid
- If you experience severe headaches
Our Remedial Massage Therapist Samantha Coert who specialises in Pregnancy Massage at St George Health in Kogarah has been rated the top Pregnancy Massage specialists for Mums To Be in Sydney. This is due to Samantha providing the best care and support to expecting mothers. Samantha uses a Pregnancy Massage cushion allowing women to lay face down comfortably throughout the treatment period. Treatments vary from 30mins, 60mins and 90mins. Most woman prefer 60mins to cover their main areas of concern but some also enjoy 90mins of total relaxation.
Make sure you avoid eating a large meal or drinking large amounts of liquids prior to your massage. Also, a quick stop to the bathroom before your treatment will help ensure you don’t have to get up halfway through.
To experience total relaxation, ease of muscular tension and to be able to lay face down, book online or call 9553 9823 to book your Pregnancy Massage with Samantha at St George Health today!